Monday, January 5, 2009

Classic: "Forever"

(Image credit: www.powells.com)

Blume, Judy. Forever. NY: Pocket Books, 1975.

This is a story about love and promises and how time passing can change everything.

What events happen in this story? Katherine wonders what it would be like to do it. Katherine thinks about doing it with Michael. Katherine does it. Katherine thinks she will love Michael forever. Things change.

What I liked about this story when I read it in 1975 (at fourteen)? Details! Details! Details!

What I thought the second time around? Although the book is still a page turner, this time I got more of the book's theme. While Katherine's parents try to protect her, and her grandmother tries to inform her, I wanted to shake her and tell her 18 is not forever- it's an instant! A second. A mere moment of life. But try telling that to Romeo & Juliet or Bella & Edward or Katherine & Michael.


YALSA Popular Paperback for Young Adults, Sex is... 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're looking at it: My favorite YA Novel: Jane Eyre

You're looking at it: My favorite YA Novel: Jane Eyre
Image credit: www.powells.com